Thursday, July 22, 2010

Dodge Ball

Thursday night is dodge ball night here at the pen. I was surprised to find out that Kenyans are dominant dodge ball players, especially Manji who looks like he just arrived from a group of Serengeti lion hunters. It was a nice break from an otherwise very bizarre world that was infiltrated by yet another group of short-timing eccentrics yesterday. I am quite certain that there is not a spare bed in the entire asylum. The mess hall was full of people comparing their third world triumphs, each trying to outdo the other in a battle royal of piety. They were real Sons of Thunder; I felt like I was witnessing a debate of who would sit at the left and right in the Kingdom. I don't want to sound like a cynic, I am a believer, I just feel like a little modesty could go a long way with some of these people.

This afternoon I witnessed true suffering and true servanthood, perhaps that is why I am so aggravated with our current medical tourists (don't get me wrong their not all bad). Jill showed me her children's ward today, she warned me beforehand that it was bad and that many doctors can't handle it. She was right it was bad, it was worse than anything that I ever could have expected. But it was worth it. It was worth it to watch Jill work and it was worth it to feel like such a fool for pitying myself in this place. The first patient that we saw was a ten year old boy who was born with AIDS. He was in bad shape, he just laid there coughing. Jill wagered that he would make it "he's very tough," she said. He has survived two operations already and although he looks like he is in bad shape, she is optimistic. The second patient that we saw looked better, but Jill said that the little girl would definitely not make it (kidney failure) and she spent most of her time just comforting the grandmother in Swahili.

In happier news I had a fabulous dinner last night and made many new friends. I really did meet some very nice and very genuine people.

Daily observations about Kenya:

1. You can pee anywhere as long as you turn your back to where you think the majority of the people are.

2. The mechanics of throwing a lion spear are uncannily similar to the mechanics required to drill me in the ear hole with a dodge ball.

3. I may not have fallen in love with Kenya on this trip but I most definitely fell even more in love with Dr. J.

Peace and goodnight,

CG

1 comment:

  1. I love this post, Casey. Your heart is broadening :)

    ReplyDelete